Sunday, 31 March 2013

Reflection two:

The importance of the technological tool of the Ipad:

I saw some children sitting at a table with an Ipad, I went over to see what they were doing and sat down next to them. They looked deeply focused on what they were doing, only one child at a time could play the game “robot lego” but each child waited patiently for their turn. I have never seen the game before and soon discovered how technological the children were! I sat back and observed the children problem-solve and collaborate together, when a child was stuck and needed help the other children would assist them. Contribution strand in Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa states that “Technology growing experience in solving problems together develops children’s understanding of how technologies can help them and others (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.96)”. I truly was amazed to see what they could do by themselves on the Ipad, as this was the first time I had seen them use it.  The game was about building your own robot and then taking it through a maze collecting stars, it was a nice short game so that it was fair on the other children waiting. They played a variety of apps on the Ipad, all the apps were intellectually challenging.

My perspective on Ipads in centres at first was that I felt they weren’t necessary, as I believe children should be interacting with their peers in the outdoors or other non digital technology. But after further research from observing the children through the interactions they had with their peers through using the Ipad and further readings, my perspective started changing on the thought of the Ipad as a technological tool.  From this experience I felt that I wasn’t very comfortable using the technology myself and I believe this was hindering me from seeing the importance of the technology for the children.  I was willing to learn about the new technology, evaluate the purpose for the children’s learning and development, and observing the children’s use of the tool (Shifflet, Toledo, Mattoon, 2012).

From my observations I found that the children using the Ipad , supported  the children’s interactions and fosters their social skills, I call these collaborative interactions. The children having discussions with one another impacted on their language skills, as they exchanged comments and suggestions were apparent through their experiences using the Ipad (Shifflet, Toledo, Mattoon, 2012).

A child’s greatest achievements are possible in play, children’s natural curiosity in the Ipad promoted their desire to use and play. Play is part of the natural learning process and one way young children construct meaning. I believe technology should not replace other forms of active exploration, and when used in moderation, appropriately and responsibly, technology is another tool for teaching and learning (Shifflet, Toledo, Mattoon, 2012). The children playing short games was useful because they knew when their turn was up they had to go play something else and return later, once all the other children had a turn. Children that hadn’t had a turn and were still waiting had discussions with the child using the Ipad.

Children simply exploring and experimenting with what they could do and see how it works on the Ipad, is an integral learning tool for promoting social, problem-solving, linguistic, and cognitive development (Couse & Chen, 2010). I believe the role of the teachers in supporting children’s learning of new technology is crucial and that responsive scaffolding strategies adapted to the specific needs of the situation are important. In my case the children scaffold me through the process of using the Ipad. Children working with their peers offered an opportunity for pair modeling and pair teaching, along with opportunities for less dependence on the teachers (Couse & Chen, 2010).

From this experience I believe the Ipad appears to be a viable and valuable tool for use with the children, it provides teachers with another tool for implementing technology standards and curriculum to prepare children to be digital citizens who are technologically literate (Couse & Chen, 2010). I have learnt a lot about the important qualities of the technology tool of the Ipad, I believe it is not about the technology itself but about how we need to use it appropriately in the early childhood setting. The Ipad is about expanding children’s learning experiences, sharing knowledge and information, collaborating, problem-solving, curiosity, and building a learning community of children and teachers (Ginapolis, 2012).


(cited from google images).


Reference List:
Couse, L. J. & Chen, D. (2010). A tablet computer for young children? Exploring its viability for early childhood education. Journal  of research on technology in education, 43 (1), 75-98.
Ginapolis, M.(2012). Ten educational technology quotes. Retrieved from:                      http://teachbytes.com/2012/03/01/10-educational-technology-quotes/
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o
Aotearoa : Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.


5 comments:

  1. At first I was also under the impression that children should be playing outdoors exploring non-digital technology. However from observing how much knowledge children at my centre(some as young as two years old) had about Ipads and computers and how familiar they were with them I’ve realised that digital technology is a major part of children’s lives today and teachers need to acknowledge this. Experiences with digital devices can develop valuable technological skills (Fleer & Jane, 2004). These skills will help them to participate in society as informed citizens and prepare them for technology related careers (Ministry of Education, 2007). The myth that digital technology promoted anti-social behaviour has been erased from my mind. Like you, I noticed that children were strengthening their social and language skills. “Technology is increasingly recognised as an integral learning tool for promoting the social, linguistic and cognitive development of young children” (Gimbert & Cristol as cited in Crouse & Chen, 2010, p.75). I also believe it’s important for teachers to support children’s learning of new technology. According to Can-Yasar, Inal, Uyanik & Kandir (2012), technology can improve the quality of education, both should complement each other and not be seen as separate domains. I therefore believe that educators need to make an effort to set aside their fears and embrace digital technology in the early childhood setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reflection on the iPad really caught my interest as it is a tool we would like to make intrinsic into our centre’s daily programme. One of our teachers went to a primary school to research how they use the iPad within the classroom. She borrowed an iPad for the children to explore and trial within our centre. This is something we found to be beneficial on the children’s learning development and would like to put into practice in the near future. I also perceived that technology such as the iPad was more a solitary activity and that it would be more beneficial for their social skills to be engaged with creative or active activities. However like you, my views have shifted as I observed the children using the iPad. I found many dispositions were displayed as they cooperated, shared knowledge and skills, and waited patiently to have their turn (Shifflet, Toledo, Mattoon, 2012). Besides the dispositions that are used in this activity, I agree with you that language skills are being developed. I could see, in my experience how the children used their language skills to convey their message, share knowledge and express ideas to each other, as they helped the user work their way through the iPad task. Thank you for a motivating read, Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand why your perspective on the use of digital devices at early years has been changed. The same thing happened to me as well. I believed at first children do not need to know about iPad, nor computers as those technological tools are meant to be adults-only. However, after attending the course of People, Places, Things and Events and reading some articles on technology education, I also experienced the perspective evolvement. I now know ICT education at early years are so important and significant step towards quality education for young children. It is fact that technology and technological knowledge and skills are “the realities of the world that our children are born into today” (Ministry of Education, 2005, p. 1). So, I congratulate on your plan to learn more about the new technology and embrace your knowledge into your teaching practice. As you mentioned, I also believe there are diverse benefits in technology education such as improving literacy, social skills, problem solving, and building relationships (Fleer & Jane, 2011).


    Reference

    Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki, he whāriki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

    Ministry of Education. (2005). Foundations for discovery. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technology really does teach children a whole variety of skills! In the experience here I can see that the children are learning how to take turns, problem-solve, and assist others (Ministry of Education, 1996). They are also learning responsive and reciprocal skills (Ministry of Education, 1996). I also felt that the children were missing out on vital social skill building time, but found I was also under the wrong impression as according to Kumtepe (as cited in Shifflet, Toledo & Mattoon, 2012) rather than promoting social isolation, children’s computer use increases social skills. Yes I definitely agree that technology has many benefits when used in moderation, as children now grow up with technology, and it is not about whether to provide technology for the children to freely use, but is about how we can best use it to enhance children’s learning today (Couse & Chen, 2010). It is great to see you have really explored the benefits of using iPads with the children, and have a positive attitude towards technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natash, I agree that the way we look at the use of digital technology in the Early childhood centre's needs to change.
    I agree with you, we need to change our minds and let more i pads or any digital technology into the centers as children learn to problem solve while working together,social skills, sharing and language skills."Technology growing experiences in solving problems together develops children's understanding of how technologies can help them and others" (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.96).
    Teachers need to increase their knowledge and skills as well as introduce more digital technology into the centre's. "As educators we need to understand how mordern technologies can help us better meet the social, physical and learning needs of young children" (Tsantis, Bewick, Thouvenelle,2003, p.8).

    Reference List:
    Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whariki matauranga mo
    nga mokpuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum.
    Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

    Tsantis, L.A., Bewick, C.j., & Thouvenelle, S. (2003).
    Examining some common myths about computer use in the
    early years. Young Children, 58(1),1-9.

    ReplyDelete