Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Reflection One:

Reflection One:
Children discovering creativity and imagination, through the eye of a digital camera.
Previously the children did a project with the teachers on how to use the camera and take photos of what they can see through the eye of the camera. This project was very successful and the children really appreciated and learnt a lot about being competent and capable individuals, we displayed the photos on a wall and the children re-visited it quite often. I believe from their previous experience it still has an impact on the children today, as the other day I came outside and sat down on the step to take photos of some children playing a game. As I was taking photos our youngest child of one year’s old came over and sat on my lap and he grabbed the camera. I was going to show him which button to press but to my surprise he started pressing the capture button! Was awesome seeing him so capable and knowledgeable of which button on the camera it was to take the photos, I assisted him with holding the camera as it was slightly big and hard for him to hold.
From this experience I believe that the digital camera sparked learning qualities such as thought, vision and imagination. On the LCD screen you could see the photo instantly after taking the photo, I believe that child A when looking through the digital camera he could see the world from a different view point (his own view of the world). A digital camera can be a passage for the child’s creativity (Perry, n.d.). Initially he took snaps of just about everything in the environment, a few of the photographs ended up blurry and not focusing on a specific image but to me I believe this is his form of creativity and imagination. With time he will learn the skills of how to use the camera including zooming and other more advanced skills, but for now he can learn and experiment for himself. He will be learning the concept of a photo by seeing the technological process of the different lights, shadows, colours and backgrounds that creates the visual image (Perry, n.d.). I appreciated his every effort and printed the pictures he took and displayed them on a wall so he could come and revisit his experience at anytime.
Children’s photos are a form of art, so it is important that this artwork was displayed. Displaying their work gives them a sense of belonging in their work and environment. I believe when children can see their spaces defined with photos of themselves they can immediately sense that they have a sense of belonging, that contributes to their inclusion in a community of learners (Good, 2009). They can take pride and joy in the photos they accomplished in their technological journey using the camera.
When children use cameras they are called “young ethnographers” meaning they use cameras to record their visions and imagination, share and extend their learning experiences with their peers (The Australian association of mathematics teachers, 2011).  Children become collaborative learners as they have discussions and questions from the photos been taken among their peers (Good, 2009). When child A took the photos another child enthusiastically asked to see the photos.  
Technology cannot reach its full potential without an education component. In an early childhood setting, I believe the educational component is the support of the teachers in supporting children’s learning. When I helped child A with handling the camera I was supporting his learning, by showing him how to correctly hold the camera and making sure he uses the strap around his wrist (you can adjust the strap) for the cameras safety (McManis,& Gunnewig, 2012). I believe once the teacher has modeled the behavior of holding the camera, children should have the opportunity to be able to proceed with minimal assistance. Still provide support when needed as it is important for children to feel comfortable as we wouldn’t want to discourage positive attitudes towards technology. Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early childhood curriculum states “ that in order to participate in this world, our children will need the confidence to develop their own perspectives as well as the capacity to continue acquiring new knowledge and skills” (Smorti, 1999, p.5).
As teachers, we can provide guidance towards children’s learning by showing them how to use the technological tools such as a digital camera, but I believe more importantly we need to help inspire a child to be competent and capable in their own learning. We need to plant a seed of inspiration in a young learner so they are able to grow through exploration, challenges, problem-solving, curiosity, and meaningful learning experiences to become a passionate learner towards technology as it becomes a vital part of their lives (Weisbrot, 2011).

Reference list:
Good ,L. (2009). Teaching and learning with digital photography: tips and tools for early childhood  classrooms. United States of America: Corwin Press.
McManis, L., & Gunnewig, S.B. (2012). Finding the education in educational technology with early learners.Young Children, 67 (3), 14-24.
Perry, M.(n.d.). Kids learning through digital cameras. Retrieved from:             http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/11532/1/Kids-Learning-Through-Digital-Cameras.html
Smori, S. (1999). Technology in Early Childhood. Early Education, 19, 5-10.

The Australian association of mathematics teachers. (2011). Step back and hand over the cameras! Retrieved from: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Step+back+and+hand+over+the+cameras!+U            sing+digital+cameras+to...-a0266942910
Weisbrot,M. (2011). Shaping the future: Teaching kids to use digital cameras. Retrieved from: http://www.ultimatephotoguide.com/articles/tips-techniques/shaping-the-future-            teaching-kids-to-use-digital-cameras/











1 comment:

  1. I find it astonishing how a child as young as one year old knew which button to press to take the photograph. This just proves that technology is part of young children’s lives today and it is therefore essential that teachers embrace it and incorporate it into the child’s learning environment. “To grow and live as citizens of the world, New Zealanders are learning about, with, and through ITC. ICT is not only transforming our daily lives, it is also transforming the way we learn” (Ministry of Education, 2005, p.4). It is important early childhood education services use these tools to enhance young children’s learning so that they grow up as informed citizens (Ministry of Education, 2005). I liked the fact that you displayed the child’s work as this gave him the opportunity to revisit his learning. Documentation can help prolong and extend a child’s learning (Gonzalez-Mena, 2011). This then introduces them to in-depth exploration of a topic. Have you thought about how you can extend this child’s learning about the camera? Maybe you can let him be involved in downloading and printing the photographs so that he begins developing an understanding of the entire process. I agree with you that the camera was a great way of getting an insight of his world. Tino pai for letting him explore the camera.

    ReplyDelete