Sunday, 31 March 2013

Reflection three:

Technology incorporating culture through weaving:

At first I didn’t know what to write for reflection three for a non-digital technology, because I didn’t have the understanding of what non- digital includes.  I thought technology was specifically focused on digital tools such as the computer, Ipads, Ipods, and cameras. I came across two readings and found these quotes Smorti (1999), states that technology is about helping people and solving problems” (Smorti, 1999, p.5).  And Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa : Early childhood curriculum (1996), states “Technology children gain experience in using communications technologies such as crayon, paintbrushes, pencils, calculators, and books” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.97). These two quotes really made me think more deeply about what is technology, I now understand the concept of technology and how it not only relates to digital materials but also non-digital materials that involves problem solving and helping others.  I will discuss an experience that I thought was non-digital. as it involved collaboration and problem solving.

One of the teachers brought in some flax (harakeke) from her garden and wove some through our whare in our outdoor environment. This sparked an interest for the children to want to learn to weave. First we started with paper weaving, where the children chose different colours and they wove them over and under to create beautiful patterns. Child A wanted to make lots, “one for mum, his brother and dad”. Then we wove with some flax- this was a little trickery as the flax didn’t bend as easily as the paper. With some support from me, child A created a lovely woven picture. Te Whāriki states that; “Growing experience in solving problems together develops children’s understanding of how technologies can help them and others” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p. 96).

I believe weaving is a form of technology, as it allows children to experience developmental skills while offering a creative and challenging learning experience. Children learn and develop skills through weaving by contributing to a positive community of collaborative learners and it’s a unique experience that sparks curiosity and imagination (Reyner, 2011).. As the children weave, they are learning patterning, critical thinking skills, problem-solving, and to create 3-D art, or think in three dimensions (Reyner, 2011).

I believe technology should be a creative and purposeful experience aimed at meeting the children’s needs and gives them the opportunities for learning and development. Weaving is a creative process; children use their knowledge and practice about process and problem solving (technology).  The ability to represent their discoveries, using creative and expressive media, “children use a variety of technologies for different purposes as they explore their world” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p,98).

Technology is influenced by the cultures or the society in which it occurs, the weaving experience was influenced by the Māori culture that is embraced in our centre setting and practice (Smorti, 1999). 

I believe from this experience I have discovered the meaning of technology, technology is the use of practical and intellectual resources that meets children’s needs and realizing opportunities for  discoveries and problem solving (Ministry of Education, 2007). Through this experience it enhanced children’s practical skills and cognitive skills. I believe teachers need to adapt and advance non-digital and digital technology into the everyday lives of the children, as this is at the heart of technological practice. The quality outcomes of using technology results from children and teachers thinking and practices that involves the importance of critical thinking such as problem solving, collaboration and being creative (Ministry of Education, 2007).

Reference list:
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o
Aotearoa : Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.
Reyner, A. (2011). Art and creativity in early childhood education: weaving with young children. Retrieved from:
Smori, S. (1999). Technology in Early Childhood. Early Education, 19, 5-10.
(Image cited from google images).

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with what Tasha said about technology in this reflection. It is very true we consider technology as something more like electrical or digital. However, I believe we have to broaden our perspective when it comes to technology education. According to Fleer and Jane (2011), technology is everywhere around us, deeply related to our daily lives, and hugely influencing our environment, as it is made by people.

    Therefore, I agree with Tasha that art is another type of technology around us. I believe, the arts are part of our everyday lives in the early childhood educational settings. Teachers provide art experience for the children for the purpose of developing creativity in childhood (Talay-Ongan & Ap, 2005). I think fostering creativity in early childhood is aimed to enhance the ability of thinking and reasoning. I can connect creativity and technology in terms of encouraging thinking and reasoning.

    Especially, weaving experience is very good in terms of providing a diverse range of materials for children to develop creative ways of expressing their own feelings and emotions. Then, children can learn there are many ways to learn about the world around us.


    Reference

    Fleer, M., & Jane, B. (2011). Design and technology for children. Frenchs Forest, Australia: Pearson Australia.

    Talay-Ongan, A., & Cooke, S. (2005). Young children with additional support needs: Early intervention and inclusion. In Talay-Ongan, A., & Ap, E. A. (Eds.), Child Development and Teaching Young Children (1st ed., pp.234-253). Southbank, Victoria, Australia: Thompson Social Science Press.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Natasha. Like you I was also struggling to understand how anything non-digital could be classified as technology but this was clarified by this definition I found: “Technology is intervention by design: the use of practical and intellectual resources to develop products and systems (technological outcomes) that expand human possibilities by addressing needs and realizing opportunities” (Ministry of Education, 1993, p.32). After reading Smorti’s (1999) reading titled “Technology in Early childhood” my understanding of what constitutes as technology has evolved. How wrong I was! One of the learning outcomes in Te Whāriki states that children should develop “familiarity with the properties and character of the materials and technology used in the creative and expressive arts” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.80). Your weaving experience certainly provided children with this opportunity. Te Whariki states that through using technology children have opportunities to explore the world (Ministry of Education, 1996). By you providing the different materials, children got the opportunity to explore them. I agree with you that teachers need to incorporate technological experiences within the early childhood setting. These experiences enhance children’s practical skills as they develop products through specific processes (Fleer & Jane, 2011).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tino pai Natasha. It was delightful to read this reflection and I found it refreshing to see that you had chosen a topic that had not yet been visited. Like you stated, weaving is certainly a challenging learning experience. However, for further learning in technology to occur, these challenges that the children experienced (by going from paper to flax weaving) provided them with the value of unforeseen outcomes and to use their problem-solving skills (Ministry of Education, 2007). I believe that technology recognises that children learn at different levels and speeds and that the teacher’s role is to inspire, motivate, support and deliver feedback to children (Ministry of Education, 2007). I felt in your reflection, you captured this role beautifully. Usually, technological activities lead to a noticeable outcome and in your case it was a Māori weaving. I believe that it is important in technology for children to experience the satisfaction of developing a range of outcomes and as weaving is a difficult task to undertake it was great to see you give them the opportunity to explore and develop their technological skills. Through this technological activity, children’s skills were being developed to operate independently as they worked on their Māori weaving and also in a group setting. It is evident that you thought deeply about what to write for your non-digital technology experience and congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before reading the article ‘Technology in Early Childhood’ by Sue Smorti, I too had not made the connection that technology was anything other than the digital items you have described here in your reflection! I now also have the shared understanding that technology does in fact involve helping people and solving problems (Smorti, 1999). Weaving is a great example of technology Natasha, a very creative perspective which I would not have considered and has further deepened my understanding of technology. Your reflection has allowed me to see how technology is influenced by culture, which I could not quite grasp before. “Technology is influenced by the culture or the society in which it occurs” (Smorti, 1999, p. 6). It is wonderful that you can now understand technology better from having this experience, and I can see that you have a deep understanding of the learning that happens during weaving experiences. Tino pai Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natasha, like you I also thought technology was digital items. After reading different literature and reflections I have come to the conclusion it is not just digital items,According to Smorti, (1999), "Technology is about helping people and solving problems" (p.5).
    "Teconology is also a creative and purposeful activity aimed at meeting the needs and opportunities through the development of products, systems or environments" (Smorti, 1999, p.5). Natasha, you have used a creative and purposeful activity by using paper and flax for weaving."Children develop when familiarity with the properties and character of the materials and technology used in the creative and expressive arts" (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.80).
    Natasha, you have also been able to include a cultural side into the technology with the weaving and flax."Technology is influenced by the culture or the society in which it occurs" (Smorti, 1999, p.6).
    Natasha, You did really well in your reflection and thought about it to include the non digital Technology into your practice.

    Reference List
    Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in early childhood.
    Early education, 1,5-10.

    ReplyDelete